While my darling husband did send me these luscious chocolate covered strawberriesfor Mother’s Day, I still made my own dessert. I’m a glutton, I know.
I had just begun my annual reading of Barbara Kingsolver’s Animal Vegetable Miracle, which always gives me renewed enthusiasm for Rhubarb, First Fruit of the Spring. Since mine is always the first thing poking its soft little head up in the springtime and is already, by this cool May day, a tremendous bush, it was inevitable. That I then came upon the sad, strawberry juice-stained page with this beloved recipe on it sealed the deal… and the Breyer’s french vanilla in the freezer was just, shall we say, icing on the cake.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Recipe type: Dessert
- 3 cups strawberries, halved
- 3 cups rhubarb, chopped
- cup honey
- cup flour
- cup rolled oats
- cup brown sugar (or a bit more, to taste)
- tsp. cinnamon
- tsp allspice
- ⅓ cup butter
- Mix together the strawberries, rhubarb and honey thoroughly and place in an 8″x8″ ungreased pan.
- Mix the remaining ingredients until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over fruit mixture and bake at 350° for 40 to 50 minutes, until golden.
Try it, my friends. It’s absolutely divine.