Isn’t it a thing of beauty?!?! This is one of the most delectable things you will ever encounter, and I just had to share it.
***This recipe was posted on my previous blog, back in the dark ages of Xanga, a few years ago. I just pulled it out to make for my birthday dinner and, once again, it was too good not to share.
Momma brought the recipe and made it for us one night and all I can say is OH…MY…GOSH. Fabulous! I like to give credit where credit is due, but I’m not sure from whence it came – Mom loves Everyday Italian, but I can’t be sure that’s the source. Whoever it is, they deserve a big ‘ol kiss…
- 1 eggplant, cubed
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1lb Italian sausage (casings removed)
- ⅓ cup red wine
- 8oz angel hair pasta
- 1 cup parmesan reggiano
- 1lb shredded mozzarella
- 3 cups marinara sauce (one 15oz jar of Prego works in a pinch, though you didn’t hear that from this Italian girl!).
- 1 box frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Saute cubed eggplant and garlic in olive oil, salt & pepper. Cool.
- Brown Italian sausage (casings removed) with red wine to cook together. Cool.
- Boil water and cook angel hair pasta 1-2 minutes.
- Mix the above together and add parmesan reggiano, mozzarella, and marinara sauce.
- Line bottom & sides of a springform pan with thawed puff pastry – reserve a piece to put over the top. Dump the pasta mixture into the pan, top with pastry and seal.
- Cut slits in the top and bake for 1½ hours at 375.
You will never regret the experience, or the time you put in to make it. Oh, and you should invite company – it feeds an army!